St Johns Church, Stroud

Location:85 Cowper Street, Stroud, NSW, 2425

Erected in 1833, St John's Anglican Church is a simple Gothic Revival church situated on the crest of a small rise in Stroud.

The church was built by convict labour under the direction of Thomas Laman. His tombstone lies in the historic cemetery which surrounds the church, along with those of the murdered McAskells and the crew of the Carrington, a company schooner which foundered off the north head of Port Stephens in a gale on May 19, 1842.

Another grave is that of Sarah White, the wife of J.C. White, AAC superintendent of flocks, and daughter of Robert Hoddle, the surveyor who laid out Melbourne. There is a legend that bushranger Captain Thunderbolt was married to a local girl in this building.

The grounds of St John's are very attractive. The building itself has as a small louvred belltower, lancet arched windows with simple timber tracery and an elliptical barrel-vault ceiling. The interior is largely unaltered and rich in cedar, including the stairrway, doors, floor, altar, the interesting twin pulpits and the nicely carved benches.

There is an old sundial on the grounds and a small carved stone in the porch from the Church of St Lawrence in Stroud, England. This carved piece of stone is said to be 600-700 years old.

st johns church stroud

St Johns Church, Stroud

85 Cowper Street, Stroud, NSW, 2425, ,

Erected in 1833, St John's Anglican Church is a simple Gothi
c Revival church situated on the crest of a small rise in St
roud. The church wa...

 
 

Guest comments

Guest Comments

No comments have been added yet. Be the first to add your review!



1000 Characters left

Antispam Refresh image Case sensitive


connect-icon-enewsletter subscribe connect-icon-facebook connect-icon-twitter

connect with us

connect-icon-flickr connect-icon-pinterest connect-icon-youtube